The Search Room
The search room is available for anyone wishing to undertake more in depth research using material from our archive collections (for information on the material available please see the Library and Archive collections pages).
Please note that the Search Room will be closed for research appointments on 27 December 2012 and 3 January 2013, reopening for prebooked research appointments on Thursday 10 January, followed by Saturday 12 January. The Sainsbury Study Centre will remain open as usual during general Museum opening hours over the festive season.
The Search Room is open by appointment on Thursdays and occasional Saturdays. Forthcoming Saturday opening dates are:
- 12 January 2013
- 16 March 2013
Search Room opening times are:
Please note that you need to book an appointment in advance, as we are unable to accommodate drop-in users.
Making an appointment
- To make an appointment please complete a Research visit request form (Word 158kb, opens in a new window).
- Please specify the preferred date(s) and whether you require a morning, afternoon or all day appointment.
- To help us best deal with your request, you should be as specific as possible about what you wish to see and why.
- Once you have completed the form, please send it to email@example.com (for Port and River Archives) or firstname.lastname@example.org (for the Sainsbury Archive)
- We will then contact you to confirm the appointment.
Conditions of access
The first time you visit the Search Room you will need to show two forms of original identification, proof of your name with signature and proof of address. For acceptable forms of identification, please see this list.
All visits will also be subject to the terms published on the reverse of the Research Visit Request form, which you will be asked to sign on arrival
Search room facilities
The following facilities are available.
- Reprographics services
- Selected online resources including journals and relevant websites
- Comfortable chairs and reading desks
- Free leaflets and information sheets
- Power points for personal computers
- Reference library including journals
Taking a break
The Museum has its own cafe and for larger meals there is the Rum and Sugar bar-restaurant. Find out more about eating and drinking at the Museum of London Docklands.