The ‘London Look’: London fashion trends 1950–2002
‘London is renowned for being the innovative fashion capital of the world. It is the very unpredictable and original nature of the way people design and wear clothes in this city that defines the London Look, a combination of free spirit, heritage and adventure.’
Alexandra Shulman, Editor British Vogue
London fashion is both traditional and innovative. In the second half of the 20th century each generation has invented its own alternative styles of dress. This reflects London’s historical relationship with the wider world and the different communities that call it home. Together with experimental designers, every day people create the London look.
- Introduction (this page)
- How did men dress in 1950s London?
- What impact did the swinging sixties have on the London Look?
- What inspired the London Look of the 1970s?
- How did punk influence the London Look?
- What styles emerged at the end of the twentieth century?
- Further information
Download 'The ‘London Look’: London fashion trends 1950–2002' (PDF, 156KB)