Hammersmith and Fulham Archives and Local History Centre
The collection includes several items in stoneware from the Martin Brothers' studio in Fulham, made before they moved to Southall c 1878, including decorative vases and two of the famous 'wally birds'. There are about 140 pieces of Fulham stoneware, ranging in date from the late 17th to the 20th century; including a complete water filter, bartmann-type jugs and mugs from the time of John Dwight, and a good selection of hunting mugs.
A fireplace made by the Fulham Pottery and now in Hammersmith Library, can be viewed by appointment. The collection also includes a number of decorated tiles, eight tile panels and a vase from William de Morgan's factory at Sands End, Fulham, which was set up in 1888.
Highlights of the collection:
- Late 17th- to 20th-century stonewares from the Fulham Pottery
- Martin ware, including vases and figures
- William de Morgan decorative tiles and tile panels
Address: The Lilla Huset, 191 Talgarth Road, London W6 8BJ
Tel: 020 8741 5159/020 8753 3850; Fax: 020 8741 4882
Access: Car parking for disabled visitors only by prior arrangement; free enquiry service for those who cannot visit; talks and local history walks by members of staff; open days, seminars and exhibitions; advice on the care and conservation of records.
Green, C. 1999, John Dwight's Fulham Pottery: Excavations 1971-79, London: English Heritage
Haselgrove, D and Murray, J (eds) 1979, John Dwight's Fulham Pottery 1672-1978: a collection of documentary sources, Journal of Ceramic History 11
Links to Museum of London Ceramics and Glass website: