(1240 - 1500)
White-firing, sandy earthenwares were one of the main kinds of pottery used in London and its environs from the middle of the 13th until the 16th century. They were made at a number of sources in Surrey and along the Surrey-Hampshire borders and can be divided into four classes based on fabric, methods of manufacture, form or shape and decorative style.
Three of the classes of whiteware come from distinct areas where production sites have been excavated, and are called Kingston-type ware, Coarse Border ware and Cheam whiteware. The fourth is commonly, but incorrectly, called 'Tudor Green' and was a minor product of all three industries.
Surrey whitewares, with their pale, buff-coloured fabric, are typically covered with a green glaze. During the 13th century especially, high quality, decorative jugs formed an important part of the Kingston-type ware industry. A wide range of everyday cooking and storage vessels were also made by all the major whiteware industries, while 'Tudor Green' was reserved for fine cups and drinking jugs. By the middle of the 14th century, whitewares were the main source of all kitchen and tablewares used across the London area, and they remained so for the next 150 years.
|Kingston-type ware (1240 - 1400)|
|Coarse border ware (1270 - 1500)|
|Cheam whiteware (1350 - 1500)|
Related objectsThere are 506 related objects.
23333 jug; baluster jug.
22775 jug; baluster jug.
22749 jug; miniature jug.
21212 jar; cooking pot.
17892 jar; cooking pot.
5945 pot; cooking pot.
5940 pipkin; tripod pipkin.