Late Hertfordshire glazed ware
(1350 - 1450)
This pottery was of major importance in the St Albans area and south Hertfordshire during the 14th to 15th centuries. Evidence from the Thames waterfront sequence shows that it first appeared in London in very small quantities around 1350. Use of this attractive, high quality, green-glazed pottery reached a peak in the capital during the late 14th century, although it was never as common in London as other contemporaneous glazed wares, such as Coarse Surrey/Hampshire Border ware and Cheam whiteware. It was still being imported into London in the early 15th century, but was certainly in decline by c 1440, although it remained an important source of pottery in St Albans, at least into the later 15th century.
Hertfordshire Glazed ware is typically a salmon pink in colour throughout, although there is some variation within this, and the surfaces are usually slightly darker than the body. The fabric is fine-textured with abundant, ill-sorted quartz sand, small specks of red, iron-rich clay and sparse to moderate mica apparent under low power magnification, although no inclusions are visible to the naked eye. There is no evidence for the use of slip, either as an overall coating or as decoration, and the ware typically has a patchy, mottled green glaze, coloured by the addition of copper. Most forms are wheelthrown, apart from dripping dishes, which are slab-built.
Related objectsThere are 18 related objects.
A15259 jug; baluster jug.
23053 dish; dripping dish.
36.16/1 jug; baluster jug.
5821 jar (cooking pot).