From the early days of Fleet Street, to the 24-hour rolling news which we know today, press photographers capture and give life to the events in the world around us.
This year London has been the epicentre for some of the most dramatic, colourful and character-filled events. Just the utterance of “Wimbledon” or “royal baby” sparks a kaleidoscope of images which flooded our national news outlets and entered public consciousness.
The energy and emotions of a whirlwind year are captured in these award winning press photographs, reminding visitors of the highs and lows which defined 2013.
Images: Queen © Mark Stewart; Andy Murray © AFP Photo / Adrian Dennis; Mark Carney © Bloomberg / Jason Alden; Boris Johnson © The Press Association / Anthony Devlin; John Lydon © Jon Enoch; Homeless dog © Reuters / Stefan Wermuth; Thatcher © Daily Telegraph / Eddie Mulholland
The work of the following finalists is on display:
• Bloomberg Business Photographer of the Year
• British Airways Fashion and Entertainment Photographer of the Year
• BT Citizen Photographer of the Year
• Genesis Regional Photographer of the Year
• Getty Royal Photographer of the Year
• Nikon Sports Photographer of the Year
• OpenText News Photographer of the Year
• SABMiller Photographer of the Year
• UK Picture Editors’ Guild Photo Essay of the Year
• UK Picture Editors’ Guild Lifetime Achievement Award
• Fixation Young Photographer Bursary