From April 2011, the LAARC has charged for the issuing of site codes for new archaeological projects within Greater London. The charge, which is £50 per site code, has been used to cover the administration costs of the management and maintenance of the archaeological site directory. Local archaeological societies are exempt from such charges.
As of the 1st May 2013 the LAARC will be introducing charging for archive deposition by all commercial contractors effective for all sites with codes issued on or after 1 May 2013 and for projects initiated after this date. These charges will cover the on-going costs involved with managing the archaeological archives, and will help to ensure their long-term preservation and access. As with the site codes, local archaeological societies will be exempt from these charges.
For a full breakdown of the deposition charges, please consult the LAARC Tariff for Deposition of Archives (PDF, 50kb). The charges are exclusive of VAT.
The Standards contain all the key information about how to prepare an archaeological archive for deposit according to Museum of London standards, but should you require any further guidance, please contact archivist Cath Maloney at firstname.lastname@example.org.
A number of changes have been made to the Standards for Deposition. Most of these are additional information, clarifications and accommodations to changing practices, but nearly all sections are revised. The changes are noted at the beginning of each section.
Two revisions that will affect working practices are:
• the allowance of digital photography as the only media for the Primary Photographic Record (2.2.1)
• the replacement of the Registered Find Card with a photograph (together with the information already recorded on the Finds Inventory) (184.108.40.206).
Please see the special guidance note Guidance for recording registered finds for further information.
The Standards are arranged in seven sections:
- Part 1 deals with overall issues and discusses the preparation of archives in the widest sense
- Part 2 specifies the particular standards and presentational requirements for archives being deposited with the Museum of London
- Part 3 specifies the legal matters that need to be resolved when depositing archives in the Museum of London
- Appendices - these include bulk and registered finds lists and examples of selected records including a concordance
- Term Lists - a series of term lists including lists for box and bag labels (bulk finds)
- Proformas - a range of proformas including archive checklists and box and bag labels
- Additional Resources - includes a list of UK suppliers of approved storage media, and useful summary guides on how to prepare an archaeological archive for deposit
The revised Standards are only available in digital format. To download the Standards for Deposition, please follow the links to the left. The Standards are available as individual PDF files for each section for ease of reference.