Two prints of St Paul's in the early 1800s
In 1834, the falcon made its home on the dome of St Paul’s Cathedral, then one of the highest buildings in the city. After being shot in the leg, the bird was captured and kept in a cage by a Mr Pope, a wine merchant who ran The Crown in St Paul’s Churchyard.
these confined circumstances, the peregrine lived ‘on royal fare’ for around a
year and ‘thousands came to gaze upon him’. Unsurprisingly, perhaps, the
unfortunately fated animal died in the end.
St Paul's prints details (right)
Top: Unfinished view of St Paul's from Whitehall Place by Nugent, T., 1823, ref: A7316
Bottom: North Side of St Paul's Church Yard, with the end of Cheapside, Hornor, T., 1810-1830, ref: Z1489