The Victorian building (opened 1875) had been innovatively designed by Sir Horace Jones to function optimally as a market building, with the roof structure designed to maintain an even, cool environment to preserve produce. The layout of the ground floor was also designed to connect with the Meat Market and General Market buildings, to allow an efficient flow of people and produce between the markets. The buildings were intended to create an impressive visual impact. Horace Jones was bringing the market into the modern era of the late 19th century, with all the rapid developments and advances of that industrial age.
Similarly, TP Bennett’s design for the new Poultry Market embraced architectural innovation, and also added measures to increase efficiency and to make the market more sanitary in line with modern standards. The market hall was designed to be double height, with rows of market stalls on the ground floor and a first floor gallery for office space. There are covered delivery bays and automatic ventilation. There is also an improved layout in the basements, with integrated refrigeration and insulation. These basements comprised large rooms flowing from a central corridor: an improvement on the previous labyrinth of rooms. Finally the basements also included a new pub for the market, the Cock Tavern. This was a pub with an early licence to cater for the market workers.