London, Sugar and Slavery gallery advisory group at Museum of London Docklands
The London, Sugar & Slavery gallery first opened in 2007 and was shaped by a group of people with a keen interest in how the history and legacies of transatlantic slavery should be told.
As one of the few UK museums telling this history in the context of London’s role, we have a responsibility to keep the gallery and associated activities current to reflect contemporary research and discussions. Appreciating the sensitive nature of the topics covered in the gallery, we must ensure we act with care and thought around this work. To achieve this, we will assemble a group of external critical friends who have the experience and knowledge to inform and challenge our work.
Advisory group purpose
- To advise the museum on proposed content changes to the permanent displays in the London, Sugar & Slavery gallery, including the development of a five-year strategy for the gallery.
- To advise the museum on the focus and approach to public events and learning programmes relating to the gallery.
- To advise the museum on the approach to any public display of the Robert Milligan statue, which recently came into the museum collection.
- To provide editorial support for the temporary display space in the London, Sugar & Slavery gallery. This is likely to include commenting on display proposals, content and interpretation.
- To provide guidance on audience research and consultation with African and Caribbean diaspora communities.
- To provide guidance on community sensitivities, where appropriate, that will support the overall delivery of our work in relation to the gallery.
Advisory group structure
The advisory group is chaired by the Senior Curator (Docklands History and Legacies).
Members serve for a two-year term and meet over a period of two years initially, at the end of which time its operation and membership will be reviewed.
Meetings take place three times per year. In addition, we may request that members attend occasional ad hoc meetings with relevant museum staff.
For more information about the advisory group please contact [email protected].
Advisory group meeting dates and subjects
All meetings are planned to take place at Museum of London Docklands, No1 Warehouse, West India Quay, London E14 4AL. Agendas will be confirmed with group members nearer the time but topics to be covered are outlined below for reference.
|Tuesday 17 January 2023
2.30pm to 4.30pm
|Tuesday 14 March 2023
2.30pm to 4.30pm
|The London, Sugar & Slavery gallery
Date and times tbc
|London, Sugar & Slavery related programming and activity, including temporary displays, and programming for schools, families and adult audiences.