We have teamed up with Hubbub and Pop Brixton to help you reduce food waste and save money by creating tasty recipes that use up the excess food that commonly goes to waste. Initially coming together to discuss the Community Fridge Network, the idea was born to celebrate London’s culinary talent by collating recipes from across the city that encourage food sustainability.
Taste not waste is a free recipe booklet available to pick up at Pop Brixton and various locations in London or online, plus a weekend of free demos and tastings at Pop Brixton on 13 and 14 January.
Find recipes from Michelin star winning chef Tom Aikens, celebrated eco-chef Tom Hunt, incredible independent restaurants based at Pop Brixton and talented individuals from across London. This collection of recipes shows the extraordinary dishes that can be created from items that could easily end up in the bin.
Recipes that have been created include:
- Tom Aikens’ turkey, sausage and bacon pie. Tom’s Kitchen specialises in serving British comfort food, and it doesn’t get much better than a pie to use up those Christmas leftovers.
- Tom Hunt’s carrot and fennel top pesto. Tom Hunt is an acclaimed eco-chef, and author of The Natural Cook. He founded the Forgotten Feast, a campaign working on projects throughout the UK, to revive our cooking heritage and help reduce food waste and Poco an award winning restaurant in Bristol.
- Urvashi Roe’s bloody beetroot gnocchi. Urvashi is a former Great British Bake Off contestant and was inspired by her glut of beetroots to create this recipe.
- Aaron Webster’s crispy potatoes, ox heart, chimichurri and gorgonzola. Aaron is one half of Smoke & Salt at Pop Brixton and has a penchant for offal!
- Don Luigi’s conserved aubergine. Don Luigi is a food stall at Pop Brixton that fuses street food with delicious dishes that originate from Italy.
- Nicole Freeman’s luscious lemon and mashed potato cakes. Nicole is a Barnett-based cookery teacher and likes to make food fun and challenge children to try new recipes.
- Nureen Glaves’s banana nice cream dream. Nureen is a passionate foodie and innovative chef who was recently diagnosed with a gluten and diary intolerance. Her recipe is a great alternative for those who have similar allergies.
Discover the full recipes here.
Share pictures of your dishes on Twitter or Instagram using #Tastenotwaste.
Food sustainability is one of many topics explored in City Now City Future, a season of displays and events at the Museum of London exploring urban living today.