Accession number: 74.3/16
Place of collection: Bow, London [Tower Hamlets]
Material: ceramic; porcelain; soft paste porcelain
Measurements: whole: 2.2441 x 2.3622 in.; 57 x 60 mm
The Bow porcelain factory opened in 1747 in order to profit from the demand for porcelain imported from China. Craftsmen at the factory produced imitations of Chinese goods, like this blue and white cup, more cheaply than the genuine article. The factory originally called itself 'New Canton' after the port of Canton in China. Bow goods were manufactured for a middle class market keen to acquire the equipment that went along with the new fashion for tea drinking.