The collections are constantly growing as archaeological digs yield new discoveries, and contemporary objects are acquired to ensure we have a record of life in 21st century London.
The collections include:
- 25,000 items of fashion and textiles
- 150,000 paintings, prints and photographs of London
- Europe’s largest archaeological archive including 17,000 skeletons
- 50,000 objects from prehistoric and Roman London
- 15,000 objects from Saxon and medieval London
- 55,000 objects from Tudor and Stuart London
- 110,000 objects from modern London (the 18th century to today)
- 1800 life stories from individual Londoners
- Half a million historic documents, including the archives of the Port of London Authority and Sainsbury’s supermarket.
Not everything is online, but we are working hard to improve digital access.