Frequently asked questions
Thinking of applying for a job? Find answers to common questions about the application and interview process.
Thinking of applying for a job?
Where can I find the person specification?
- For every role we advertise, we upload a Job Description setting out the responsibilities of the role. This Job Description also includes a Person Specification at the end, setting out the knowledge skills and experience we would be looking for in a successful candidate.
What do I do if I cannot make the advertised interview date?
- We will try to accommodate the availability of short-listed candidates as best we can. In order to help us do this, we ask that you please specify any dates you are not available for interview on your application form.
I have questions about the role or job description/person specification.
- No problem at all. Please email your questions to [email protected] and we will respond as soon as we can.
How can I find out more about working at the Museum of London?
- We try and make sure that our jobs pages are as informative as possible and give you a good understanding of what it’s like to work here. Find out more about what it is like to work at the museum.
I am disabled and may need some support to carry out this role. How can I discuss this?
- As a disability confident employer, we are committed to inclusive and accessible recruitment, and providing reasonable adjustments. Please contact [email protected] with your questions and we will respond as soon as we can.
I am not a UK citizen, will the museum be able to sponsor a work visa?
- We encourage everyone to apply for our jobs but unfortunately the Museum of London is not able to provide sponsorship for work visas.
Completing an application form
It has taken me a long time to complete the Supporting Statement and the system has timed me out.
- If this has happened to you, we are very sorry for the inconvenience caused to you. We do our best to make the application process as straight forward as possible, and in most cases, any information you put into your application form is saved automatically. With the Supporting Statement, it is important that you save your inputs regularly as the system may time you out after a period of inactivity. Alternatively, you may wish to type up your Supporting Statement in a separate word document and paste this into the relevant section of the application form.
I have a disability and I will require some support in completing the application process.
- No problem at all. We are happy to help any disabled applicant with completing the application process. Please email [email protected] to advise us of any support needs you have and we will respond as soon as we can.
What time does the application process finish on the closing date?
- The application process will close at 11.59pm on the closing date. We advertise the closing date on all of our adverts at the bottom of the page. If you cannot see this information, please email us at [email protected] and we will respond as soon as we can.
I am having problems with completing the application form and/or the online recruitment system.
- We are really sorry that you are having problems applying for one of our vacancies. Please contact [email protected] explaining the problem you are having and we will respond as soon as we can.
How will I know that you have received my application?
- We will send you an email thanking you for your application and to confirm that your application has been submitted.
I haven’t received any confirmation that my application has been received.
- No problem, please contact us on [email protected] explaining which role you have applied for, and we will look into this for you and will respond as soon as we can.
After applying for a job
When will I find out if I have been shortlisted for interview or not?
- We aim to let all applicants know by email if they have been selected for interview within 1 week of the closing date.
It has been more than one week after the closing date and I haven’t heard any response to my application.
- We are really sorry about this, we aim to inform all applicants the outcome of their application within 1 week of the closing date. Please contact [email protected] explaining the situation and we will respond as soon as we can.
Will I be notified if my application is unsuccessful?
- Yes, we will email you thanking you for your application and confirming that your application has been unsuccessful on this occasion. If you have been unsuccessful on this occasion, we would still welcome you to apply for other job vacancies in the future. You can sign up for job alerts by logging in to your Museum of London jobs account and subscribing to receive emails about new positions.
If my application was not shortlisted for interview, will I receive any feedback on my application?
- We would like to be able to provide feedback to everyone who takes the time to apply for one of our job vacancies. Unfortunately, as we receive a large number of applications for our roles, it is not possible for us to come back to everyone who has applied and not been shortlisted for interview. We do, however, offer feedback to unsuccessful interview candidates.
I haven’t heard anything after applying for a job.
- We are really sorry to hear this and would like to extend our apologies to you. We value all applications for our vacancies, and it is important to us that our applicants are kept informed of their application. If you have submitted a job application, you should receive an email from us confirming this on the same day. Also, within 1 week of the closing date, you should receive an email from us informing you of the outcome of your application. If it is the case that you have not heard anything in regards to your application for a role please contact us on [email protected] and we will respond as soon as we can.
I have been shortlisted for interview
Unfortunately, I can’t attend any of the scheduled interview times.
- We will try to accommodate the availability of short-listed candidates as best we can. In order to help us do this, we ask that you contact us on [email protected] to let us know any times and dates you are available. We will try our best to arrange another interview date and time for you but we cannot always guarantee we will be able to do this, as it is dependent on the availability of the interview panel.
How will I know that I have successfully booked myself onto an interview slot?
- We will email you confirming the interview slot you have booked yourself onto.
I thought I had successfully booked myself onto an interview slot but I haven’t received an email confirmation.
- If this happens, please email us on [email protected] and we will respond as soon as we can.
Will I have to do any tests as part of the interview process?
- Each of our Job Descriptions include a Person Specification which explains how each of the person specification criteria will be assessed. In addition to this, when you have selected an interview slot, you will be provided with information on whether you will be asked to complete any tests on your interview date.
Will the test be completed on a computer or different?
- It depends on the test. It is likely that you will be asked to complete the test using a computer, however, this is dependent on the role and the nature of the test.
I have a disability and I will require some support in attending the interview and/or completing any tests.
- As a disability confident employer, we are committed to inclusive and accessible recruitment, and providing reasonable adjustments. Please email [email protected] to advise us of any support needs you have and we will make the necessary arrangements.
I have booked myself onto an interview slot but can no longer attend the interview at this time, how can I change this?
- We will try to accommodate your availability to attend an interview as best we can. In order to help us do this, we ask that you contact us on [email protected] to inform us of this and we will respond as soon as we can.
How will I know where to go for the interview and who I will be meeting?
- When you have booked your interview slot, you will be provided with information about the location of your interview and who will be greeting you.
I have an interview but I am running late or / I am lost or / I have gone to the wrong museum site for the interview.
- Please telephone 020 7814 5660 (London Wall) or 020 7001 9844 (Docklands) to let us know.
I haven’t heard anything after attending an interview.
- We aim to inform interview candidates of the outcome of their interview within one week of their interview date, or earlier if we can. In the event that you haven’t heard from us after one week past your interview, we are really sorry about this. Please contact us on [email protected] and we will look into this and respond as soon as we can.
If I am unsuccessful at interview stage, will I receive feedback?
- Yes, we commit to offering all unsuccessful candidates who attended an interview the opportunity to request and receive feedback. If you request feedback, we will arrange for an interview panel member to contact you with this feedback by telephone at a mutually convenient time.
If I am successful and have been offered a job at the museum, how will I find out about this?
- We will contact you by telephone to confirm that you have been made a conditional offer and the terms of that offer. If you accept our offer, we will email you within 2 working days with a letter confirming the terms of the conditional offer and advising on next steps.