The Measuring Up programme encourages non-NPO museums to use the ACE Impacts and Insights tool to carry out self, peer and audience evaluation, with the aim of measuring improvements in collections development and engagement.
Museum Development London has worked with Arts Council England, Counting What Counts and other regional Museum Development teams to find ways of developing a more streamlined non-NPO museum approach to the Impact and Insight Toolkit.
If you have any questions about the Measuring Up Programme please do contact Rachael Crofts, Museum Development Officer Audiences
January 2022 - January 2023 Programme
The Year 4 and 5 grant programme has now closed, and grants have been awarded.
The Museum Development London (MDL)’s Measuring Up Programme provides participating museums with both grants and an holistic evaluation framework to support and inform future activities. The objectives of the Year 4 and programme is to:
- Increase the quality of their exhibitions and programmes
- Use a range of perspectives to effectively assess the quality of their exhibitions and programmes
- Better understand the impact of their exhibitions and programmes on the people who experience it
- Effectively develop and inform future exhibitions and programmes using evaluation findings.
In all, we have allocated £16,500 to support 6 non-national museums. These grants will support museums to:
- Develop, plan and deliver updates to existing permanent exhibitions or temporary exhibitions
- Develop, plan and deliver an associated programme of events and activities for audiences to further understand the content and themes of the permanent or temporary exhibition
- Capture feedback from their audiences
- Capture feedback from their peers; and finally
- Use the feedback from their peers and audiences to make changes and inform exhibitions and events going forward.
Following an assessment panel, MD London decided to fund the following museums:
- Bruce Castle Museum, London Borough of Haringey
- The Cartoon Museum, London Borough of Westminster
- Florence Nightingale Museum, London Borough of Lambeth
- Fulham Palace House & Gardens, London Borough of Hammersmith & Fulham
- The Freud Museum, London Borough of Camden
- The View (Epping Forest Collection), City of London Corporation, London Borough of Waltham Forest
These projects will be completed by March 2023, when Museum Development London will share the projects funded and lessons learnt.
For information on previous Measuring Up programmes, see the Previous Programmes link on our Resources page.